Thursday, April 23, 2009

Twice in One Day

So, today/yesterday (see previous posting for explanation) I got up and talked with my family on Skype. It had been awhile and Josh is at my parent's house for a little while so it was nice to talk with everyone at the same time. The day before I had a meeting with the post adoption service center for Holt adoption agency. I went to try and find out anything that I could about my birth parents. I was hoping to, at least, get medical history so I can have an idea of things I should look out for in the future. But, I had no such luck. They did not have medical history and the information I was given was less than exciting. Although, I am happy that I went and I'm glad I got the information that I did (it's better than nothing) and I have to seriously think about what I want to do concerning trying to contact my birth mother. So, with all of that going on yesterday, my family had just a few questions for me.

Later, I met up with Grace and we got lunch. She had cooked for me the past couple of dinners so I decided I would make her dinner tonight. The original thought was breakfast but for that I would have to get up early and wake people up to get into her apartment and that wouldn't be good/fun/nice. Instead, I made her a breakfast kind of dinner. After lunch, the two of us went to Home Plus to buy the groceries I would need to make the various dishes. Now, one might think that this would be a simple task: go to the grocery store and buy groceries, however, one would be wrong. In Korea certain things that would be refrigerated in a U.S. grocery store are just on a shelf. Other things are not in similar places like the dairy section "milk, cheese, yogurt, etc...." I found the cheese off in a little section, but, to be fair, it was with the butter. I wanted to make her French toast, bacon, pancakes, and an omelet. The store limited what I could make. There was no cinnamon sugar or cinnamon raisin bread... no cinnamon anything unless you wanted pure cinnamon. So the French toast idea had to be changed. The rest was easy enough to make with what we could find.

Once we got back from Home Plus we took a little rest and then started cooking. Her kitchen is kind of small and they have limited cookware so, with one pan and Tupperware lids as plates, I played the role of head chef and Grace helped with prep. I wanted to make this by myself and have her just relax but she wouldn't have that and we didn't really want to wait that long for the food. We ended up making toast, a massive omelet, and bacon. We bought pancake mix and syrup but I'll make that for her another time (and use up the rest of the bacon). The omelet had green peppers, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. We both like to eat and generally eat a lot so we always end up making more than we're really hungry for (thinking the other will eat it).

Grace and I have come up with a routine where we have dinner together and then watch a movie. We've been doing this for the past couple of days. It has always ended with me leaving just after midnight and then seeing her again later that day (hence the Title: "Twice in One Day"). It's kind of a weird thought that I had on my walk back to the dorm but it makes/made sense to me. So, after dinner we watched a movie, Yes Man. Then, I came back here and here I am (again, sorry about not having pictures).

No comments:

Post a Comment