Friday, May 1, 2009

Hot Love... Like... 39°C Hot

Let me take you back to a day when health was not a concern and temperature was only talked about with the weather. Let me take you back to Wednesday (two days ago). I had woken up a little early, because of which, I felt a little tired. After a nice warm shower, however, I was feeling pretty good. I had to give a presentation that day but I was ready for it and had plenty of time to refresh myself with the material before the class, at 18:00 (6:00 pm). So, I re-read the articles and then went to have lunch around 13:30 (1:30 pm). As I was leaving I noticed that I felt a little achy but thought it was just because I had been sitting and reading for awhile. I did recognize that most people in the dorm had been or are sick so I decided to take it easy and get a very simple lunch (nothing really spicy or too exotic). After lunch I was feeling a little worse and, upon my return to the dorm, I took a nap. That is to say, I tried to take a nap. By this time everyone else was up and making noise and wanting things. For the two hours that I was trying to sleep I probably slept for fifteen minutes. When I got up I felt horrible but I had to give this presentation in my film class. So, I took my stuff and went to class early so I could read the material one last time before presenting.

(Arbitrary paragraph change) My group was presenting first so I got it out of the way before I really started to feel bad. After the class my friends told me it was good but I seemed to be going slowly (because I was sick). For the rest of the class I just got worse. I had the chills and developed a slight cough and just felt achy all over. Now, a friend of mine, Anh, and I developed a "tradition" of going out for pizza after that class. The real tradition is more like, "one of us tells the other that they can't go out for pizza after the class." So, this time I was determined to go. I'm not going to let a little illness keep me down. After class, Anh, Grace, and I walked to Pizza School. There was a lot of debate about my ability to get there and back alright but ultimately we went. I thought that eating might make me feel better... not so much. I could not finish one pizza and I felt really cold (for those of you that don't know, those two things never happen to me).

After eating we started to walk back and Grace insisted that I go back to her apartment with her since it was much closer than the dorm. Isn't she sweet? Wait, I mean, "Isn't she sweet!" I tried to argue with her about it for a little bit but my mind had stopped working and my desire to lay down was too great. She has a really weird pillow that reminds me of a car armrest (leather-ish, kinda hard, gray...) so she made me a pillow out of clothes. She kept me under the covers and put a cool, wet towel on my head. If you hadn't guessed yet, this is the "Love" part of the title. I had some fever medicine. She even heated up so milk so I could have warm milk before going to bed. Sadly, despite her hard work, I was getting worse. She went out after midnight and got a thermometer. My temperature was 39°C (also part of the title). For those of you that are like me and see °C as witchcraft and sorcery... you take °C * 1.8 + 32 = °F. So, 39 * 1.8 + 32 = 102.2 ... I clearly was not well.

So, early Thursday morning Grace takes a very out of it me to the hospital. Now, this is a very hard thing to do since I'm loopy and weigh more than twice as much as she does but you have to remember... we're in Korea. Everything is written in Korean and, for the most part, the people in the hospital do not know English. Oh, and since I hadn't planned on staying at Grace's I didn't have my glasses with me... so I feel really bad, my heads loopy, and I can't see. Well, I could see Grace's face... which was nice. Grace ran around the hospital to try and find where she needed to take me. When we got there they gave me some medicine intravenously and then gave me some pills to take orally for the next few days. After Grace took me back to her apartment I slept for a long time... and snored for most of it. So Grace and her roommate didn't get a lot of sleep (I'm really sorry about that). I seemed to stop snoring once they were both awake (isn't that just like me). Most of Thursday I spent sleeping and Grace would wake me up for food and medicine and to take my temperature. She was a great doctor (not nurse... I know nurses do great things too but Grace deserves higher pay and more prestige). Mom, you would've been pleased. By the time I left Grace's apartment and headed back to the dorm I was feeling pretty close to normal.

Today, I got up and felt a little warm but I hadn't taken any medicine yet so that was to be expected. I'm sure I will start to feel worse at night but I really think I'm getting better and that I'm getting better faster thanks to Grace's care. Thank you, Grace. I love you. OH YEAH!!! It's May 1st... and that means that Grace and I have been going out for a month. ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment